The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

keeping my fingers crossed.

My eldest was adopted when she was nine. She had been severely abused both mentally and sexually the first 9 years of her life. We were told she would never graduate. well she did that in 2000. She has now taken the big step of deciding to go to a college not far from here and the state will pay since she is an independant adult and mentally handicapped. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping she goes thur with it.

It is really scary letting her go but she needs to do this. Or she needs to try it out anyway. My husband and I are not going to be around forever and she needs to be prepared for life without us some day.

I just hope she does it but you know what, even if she does not succeed, she will still be my daughter and I will love her. I just want her to try to do her best. It is such a huge step for her. She is scared. So am I. I don't want her to have to move out but in the long run it is the best thing for her.

This will not take place for several months as so much has to be done and it is a long process but I am hoping she will do it.

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

If she succeeds ...

Remember that the only failure is in not trying.

Wendy said...

Anvilcloud - very well put.

Wow, it is a frightening prospect - but I believe your fear is rooted only in the unknown. You'll always be there for her and that is what counts. IF it happened not to work, she'll come home again and you'll move on. IF it works out for her, think of the doors that will open to her? Keep the faith.

Dee said...

Wendy....I think you are right. Just not knowing and the fear that people will take advantage of her as they have in the past. It is a very great fear on my part but she has to try it. They told her yesterday it may not take place til next fall instead of the spring like we thought but the more I think on it, the better I think it will be for all cause hubby and I are not going to be around her entire life and she has to learn to do things on her own and experience life.

Joe said...

wow, this is hard. I don't have big words of advice, but I wish the best for your daughter.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.