The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

The passing of a friend....

">Link
Four years ago my daughter could not think of what she wanted to get me for a mothers day gift but since she likes cats, she thought I would like another one to add to my menagerie. I kept my mouth shut and graciously accepted the little gray and white tom cat into my home. Unfortunately, this lovable bundle of fur liked to make his presence known by spraying when he got a few months older. He was neutered so he did not think he would do that but Nicholas insisted on being difficult and he sprayed and sprayed. So we kept him outside on our back porch and in a shed out back . He would come and go as he pleased as we had cut a little door in the shed for him to go in and out.

Nicholas was up here playing a few days ago. We would let him in on the very cold nights and keep him in the basement where our other cats resided when it was cold. He played as he always did.

Two days went by and we did not see Nicholas come to where we fed him. My husband came in tonight and told me he found him dead in his bedding where he always slept.

We do not know what caused his death. We have no antifreeze where he can get it and what we have is pet friendly. We had him tested for luekemia when he was a kitten and he did not have it. Someone suggested distemper and perhaps that was it. Or, poision but we do not know who would poision him as our neighbors have cats and the other ones never bothered him or us about anything.

But he is gone and I spent most of the evening crying for him. I know I will miss him terribly at times but he really did have a good home and was a loving pet. He will be missed...........bye nick.

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

It's sad to lose the little critters.

Granny said...

I'm so sorry. We lost our half grown kitten (another stray) last week. Healthy one day, gone the next and no clue what happened.

Many tears shed around our household.

Leann said...

so sorry.winter is hard on everyone.and its sad to see the little guys go.I have lost alot of sweet pets.I even gave up on having them cause it hurt so much.but then I lost out on the love they give.God bless you and ease your lose.

Dee said...

thanks for the good thoughts. I think his passing was painless. He just looked like he was sleeping.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.