The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Thoughts on saying good by

My husband is one of those people who has to say good by to people. No matter who they are or where we are, he insists on saying good by and wants me to say it to.

I do not like saying good by to people. I think it was because when I was a kid, I said good by to so many people and they they were gone forever. My dad when I was two left us.

When I was six I remember very vividly the day them came to take me to the Williard Home in Indiana Pa. I remember my mom standing by an old stove crying her eyes out saying she would see me soon. It was months before I saw her and years before I ever slept under the same roof she did.

Each time I moved into a foster home, I thought it was going to be my home for life. For three years I was shifted from one home to another. I said so many goodbyes to people I was starting to care about and never saw them again.

I said my final goodby to my foster mom in 1980 and to my biological mom in 1995. I said good by to my fil in 1989. I don't know how many more goodbyes I will have to say. It is not easy and I hate it every time I have to say it even if it is just for a few hours.

I would rather say "I will see you later" and wave then utter the words good bye.

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I can see why it would be hard for you.

Dee said...

Ac..*s*

Wendy said...

I like "see you later" too.

squire said...

A remarkable post and a sad one. I, too, have trouble with "good byes".

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.