The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Monday, April 02, 2007

First real sign of spring for me.....


Spring is here. It has been here for a few days but today was the first time I felt like it was truely here and the colts foot I saw blooming along the road and at the edge of the woods confirmed it. It is such a tiny flower but it's brilliant yellow, shines brightly against the dark green grass in th swampy woodlands.


Here are a few things I would like to share with you about this little flower, which is actually a herb.


It can be used for medicinal purposes. Some people use it for a cough suppressant. Link
The leaves are the basis of the British Herb Tobacco, in which Coltsfoot predominates, the other ingredients being Buckbean, Eyebright, Betony, Rosemary, Thyme, Lavender, and Chamomile flowers. This relieves asthma and also the difficult breathing of old bronchitis. Those suffering from asthma, catarrh and other lung troubles derive much benefit from smoking this Herbal Tobacco, the use of which does not entail any of the injurious effects of ordinary tobacco.




A decoction is made of 1 OZ. of leaves, in 1 quart of water boiled down to a pint, sweetened with honey or liquorice, and taken in teacupful doses frequently. This is good for both colds and asthma.


'The fresh leaves, or juice, or syrup thereof, is good for a bad dry cough, or wheezing and shortness of breath. The dry leaves are best for those who have their rheums and distillations upon their lungs causing a cough: for which also the dried leaves taken as tobacco, or the root is very good. The distilled water hereof simply or with elder-flowers or nightshade is a singularly good remedy against all agues, to drink 2 OZ. at a time and apply cloths wet therein to the head and stomach, which also does much good being applied to any hot swellings or inflammations. It helpeth St. Anthony's fire (erysypelas) and burnings, and is singular good to take away wheals.'


In paris they had a picture of coltsfoot at the apothary shops at one time.


3 comments:

Leann said...

thats a awesome picture.thanks for sharing all about it.I like to learn about plants and herbs.
wish our spring had stayed.we went right back into winter again.
they say we will get some snow for next few days.and the temp is going down to.down in the 20,s.
Have a great week.enjoy your spring.

Dee said...

Cold here too but I know it cannot last too much longer.

Annie said...

Hi Dee! Thanks for visiting my blog! I have begun reading through yours. I am so glad you enjoy my blog! I am not sure which song you heard when you looked at my blog since there are 45 songs that play at random. But the next time you visit you can scroll down to below my "archives" section and you will be able to see which song is playing and who it is by.

I know the war is such a sensitive subject with a lot of people. My best friend's husband was killed in action this last August while he was on his second tour in Iraq. He was a man of such wonderful character and faith. He truly loved the Iraqi people and loved helping them. He even spoke of maybe one day going back as a missionary. We miss him so much but we know he is on Heaven with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and we will see him again!

Thanks again for visiting my blog and I am looking forward to reading more of your posts! :)

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.