The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Cats and their special gifts


My cats love me. I know it. I knew gizmo loved me the day she gave her firsts mothers day gift.It was Mothers day and I was laying in the yard thinking of what a glorious day it was outside with the sunshine and puffy white clouds in the air. I was feeling happy and seren when I saw my cat come towards me. She stopped right at my lawn chair and dropped a huge rat right at me feet. I let out a scream, fell out of the chair and gathered myself up without tripping somehow and ran down through my yard. My husband came out wanting to know why I was screaming like a banshee and all I could do was gasp and point to my cat who was sitting there with this perplexed look on her face. The rat was racing towards the house and I screamed again and ran inside.Then there was that warm spring day that I opened the window in my bedroom and laid down for a nap only to wake up with Fuzzy, my gray cat standing on my chest with a bird in her mouth. I tried to take the bird from her and she let it go and I spent the next hour trying to get the bird out of my bedroom.Oh, and I must not forget the mouse she brought in dropped on my favorite lazy boy chair. I had to set it out on the porch for a three days before we could get the mouse out of it. Did she feel bad about it. No. She didn't care. You see, cats love you but they really expect you to let them do their thing and you are supposed to bow to them. They do not bow to you.They are not like dogs you know. Dogs come when you call. Cats say, leave a message.....

5 comments:

Granny said...

When I was a young girl many years ago, one of our cats brought us a dead bat. He was so proud of himself.

Our oldest kitty brings us a bird from time to time but so far no rats.

Wendy said...

LOL! When I used to let my other cats outside (which never happens anymore due to coyotes and fishers) I used to get "gifts" all the time ... rats, mice, birds, chippies, SNAKES, and once, the topper of all ... a very alive BULLFROG in my BED. Yes, in my bed. I know it was well intended but man!! We decided to lock off the cat doors after that. That stopped the gifts from being brought in. But, they'd then just be left on the porch - which is much better. Now, the cats that are here through attrition are not allowed out. My last, oldest cat, passed at 15 years - after him, no more 'outdoors' kitties. It's a dangerous place outside!! I miss having them in the yard with me though, but it's for the best.

Anvilcloud said...

They are indeed interesting critters who are totally different than us ... and dogs. I also like dogs but don't have them.

Leesa said...

I love this story! My cats are the same way. They bring me gifts. Sometimes alive, sometimes not. I do have one cat though that everyday, she brings me one of the toy mice. Every morning she carries it to me, jumps on the desk and drops it in front of me. Then she moves on. I can't stand it, it's so cute :)

Meow (aka Connie) said...

My cat likes to bring me (live) birds into the house, so she can chase it around. I'm sure she thinks it's great fun. Me, however .... well, what do you think !?!?!?
I looooove cats, though, they are so individual.
Have a great weekend.
Take care, Meow

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.