The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Here is how I feel about it.


Burning the flag seems to have been a hot topic on some of the political chat rooms I go to and I really have to think about this subject before going on on a tangent of some sort.

I respect our flag. I fly is proudly and fly it daily out in our front yard. My husband was in the service and several of my uncles as well as my brother fought under that flag. I get teary eyed when I say the pledge of allegiance. ( I get teary-eyed over the Stars Bangled Banner too but for a different reason.*s*).

I realized that blood has been shed over that flag.

But does feeling as I do about 'Old Glory' make me a better citizen then the man or woman who burns the flag in frustration or anger over some of the things our government is doing? I may not like what they are doing. I may shake with anger and want to throttle them for doing it. But may they always have the right to do it as long as they are not bringing harm to anyone while doing it.

As long as they have that right, it means we are still living in a country that is free and we can show our displearsure at the people who run this country, in a manner that they see fit. I want to have the freedom to burn that flag if I so choose. You see, I understand why they do it. They want to shock us as much as anything. No one can really think that george bush is going to look out is window and see someone burning a flag and think, 'Oh, dear, I had better bring the men home now.'

They just want to get a reaction out of the rest of the country. They are not going to get one out of me.

1 comment:

Granny said...

Thank you.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.