The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Reunions and memories...

A few days ago my sister emailed me and asked if I was going to our grade school reunion. I told her I did not know about it. Our gradeschool was closed when I was in fifth grade and I had to go to another school after that. She sent me the name of the woman who in head of the reunion and I told her I would not be able to go this year because of other plans. And it was too late for me anyway.

She wanted some of my memories of schoool but I am afraid I blocked many of my memories of grade school. It was a painful time for me since I was moved so much because of being in different foster homes. Most of the memories that kept cropping up were about summer time. Swimming in the old swimming pool and going strawberry picking with my foster mom and friends. I loved picking the berries and exploring the woods while they picked most of them.

I remember sitting on our front porch and singing or listening to the radio until past dark or playing hide and seek with my friend and her brothers while my mom made strawberry jam and talked with my friends mother.

I remember my dog cocoa and taking him on long walks before my neighbor kicked him to death and I nearly put her thru a wall. I had to be pulled off her. I hated her before that and I will dislike her until the day I die. She is long dead and if there is a hell, she is there. I know that cocoa will be with my other dogs, waiting for me, I hope.

That is not a pleasant memory but it does crop up.

I also remember my neighbor and his lovely horse, Prince. Gorgeous animal that was all white but his head, which was a rich chocolate brown. I loved that horse but no one rode him but Mr. Haig. He would not really let anyone handle him but Mr. Haig. He had a very special relationship with that man.

We had a white cat named priscilla. Or, Miss Priss, as we called her. She would go out and lay down on the road when it was warm. One day Mom decided she would be better off at a farm her friend owned. She thought she was sending her to a better place where she would be safe. That is one death I do not want to talk about. It has been almost 40 years and I still cry over that lovely cat and what that womans son did to her.

Most memories are good and I had a great childhood. But there are a few ........I think I am going to go to that reunion though. Maybe....

No comments:

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.