The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Bewtitched, Bothered and Bewildered

Nothing moves me as much a music does. I think it really does soothe the soul if it is the right kind of music. It all depends on the mood I am in as to what kind of music moves me.

Right now I am listening to something I never thought I would actually enjoy listening to and that is music from the forties and early fifties. For some reason I decided to order a set of cds Rod Stewart put out Called American Songbook and there are five volumes I think. I two of them.

I guess I ordered them because the songs were songs my foster sisters listened to when I was younger. And as I listen to them now, I think of the long summer walks we had. The talks they gave me about life, love and men in general. The giggles as they shared some of their experiences with me. It was during those times they treated me like a real sister and I could pretend I was their sister. Happy times for me.

Sometimes I play country music and think of my biological mother and all the good times we shared once I got to know her as a good friend. We would listen to Dolly and Porter as she shared her thoughts on life with me. Then we would visit my aunt who taught me to crochet and we would crocehet and and listen to country music for hours while she told me about my biological family and many of the things you all grew up hearing, I was hearing for the first time in my life. It was comforting to me to realize I could look at her and my biological Mom and see someone who resembles me. Good times for me.

My foster mom was very religious and only gospel music came from her finger tips as she played 'I'll fly Away' or 'Amazing Grace'.

So the next time you are blue or feeling like the world is closing in on you, just turn the world off and listen to the sound of whatever music moves you. If you really let it, it can take you away to another time.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Isn't it wonderful how a certain piece of music can take right back to some place in time? I love that.

Anvilcloud said...

I have recently been listening to Neil Young: Heart of Gold, Old Man, Long May You Run. It's really nice stuff that I never paid any attention to when most were.

Bonita said...

Indeed. Music uplifts the spirit - and can relate to almost any mood. I enjoy old songs too, like the early Bee Gees, Gordon Lightfoot, and - Barry Manilow!

Shephard said...

Thanks for this post...
I needed that reminder. :)
Music really does lift the soul. :)
~S

Dee said...

Shep...I feel it really does lift the soul. I am so glad for all those out there who have the gift of music as their talent. I am glad they share it with us.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.