The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Daughters, Beware of my curse. It may come true.

My daughters both had to have cell phones. They gave me all the pros and cons of life with a cell phone and compared it to life without a cell phone. For me, life without a cellphone meant I would not have to pay their cellphone bills. For them, it meant they would not be able to call their friends every five minutes to see what they are up to. I knew this but their selling techinque was to tell me that I would be able to talk to them when I needed to hear their sweet voices and they would pay the cell phone bill.

So why am I looking at a 180 dollars in phone bills and two daughters who will not return phone calls unless they want money or want me to do something for them? They say, 'But mom, I was going to call you but I got busy.' Or, 'Mom, janie's phone was not working and I loaned her mine for a few days.' (I felt my temperature rise at that one.)

Okay, I say, I am going to have the phones shut off tomorrow.' But mom they wail, how are we going to be able to talk to you or call you in an emergency? How are you going to call us."

I felt like telling them to use morse code but I just glared and gave them the same Mother's curse my mom gave me. I shook my finger at them and said, "Some day you are going to have kids that act just like you and I hope I am around to see it."

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

That's cute, although really aggravating too.

Bonita said...

Sounds like you made a good decision; should they want cell phones, it comes out of THEIR paycheck. I sure do understand your feelings here.

Lunafish said...

The unlimited minute family share plan is a way to keep the peace.
On the list of things kids say they will pay for but never do: cell minutes, replacement tires and oil changes.

My most recent complaint to my daughter about her mobile phone is that she has the most irritating voice mail greeting that I have ever heard - seems to think it is funny to record her boyfriend with both of them quoting strange movie lines. grrr

Dee said...

What is it with the weird messages anyway? Mine does that too and one sounds like she is whinning about something.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.