The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

My friend....

Over twenty years ago I began penpalling with a woman In Illinois. I never dreamed when I picked up that pen and started writing, I would start a friendship that would last a life time.

We wrote for several years before she came to visit me. I had been warned that I did not know her and god only knows what kind of people you meet by just writing to them. Right? Still, we met and instantly liked each other. This woman and I have been through marriages, deaths, and all of life's travails togehter. She helped me thru my grief of losing my mother and I helped her with hers when she lost her son to s drug over dose. She celebrated with me with each child I adopted and I celebrated her marriage to her life mate of 18 years. When I have a problem, I just have to pick of the phone and I have an understanding friend on the phone.

My life has been enriched by knowing her so when I hear people warning others about meeting strangers on the net, I think of the warnings I got when I first talked of meeting her. I would never dissuade anyone from meeting a potential friend but I will give some hints on what to do for your own safety.

1. Never meet them alone that first time. Always take a friend with you.
2. Do not meet them in a secluded place or in your home. Meet them in a restaruant and if the situataion does not feel right, get up and leave.
3, Carry a cell phone with you. When I met with her, it was at a restaurant. She had a friend with her and I had my husband with me.

I would not trade my experience with her for anything. I was one of the lucky ones and I hope that if you ever do decide to meet with someone you have been chatting with on the net, you are careful and you find a friend like Bonnie B. She is fantastic.

6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I've met an email pal a number of times -- stayed at their place. If you write for years, I think you get to know them pretty well. I don't think that most kooks would stay the course.

Echomouse said...

I've recently met a blogging friend and it was wonderful. She is a great soul. I've been reading her blog for about 4 years and we've corresponded for the past 2 so we know each other pretty well.

There are a handful of bloggers that I also consider friends. We email each other, we exchanged christmas presents this year for the first time, and they are all great people. These friendships grew over several years. That seems to be a good idea, to ensure you know them for a good while before meeting etc.

I am so happy you've made such a great friend. That's a very happy story :)

Wendy said...

Great post - and good sound advice. I'm so happy you found such a special friend.

Leesa said...

Great story :) I'll remember that.

Dee said...

She just left and it was four wonderful days with her and her husband. Now hubby wants to go out there some time.

Granny said...

I was lucky enough a few weeks ago to meet for potluck in San Francisco (I'm in Merced, 135 miles away) with 3 couples I'd met thru the blogs and had "known" for over a year. All their kids, my kids, spouses, it was wonderful.

The next weekend I met another friend originally from CA who now lives in England and was back here for a visit. Me, the girls, her, her daughter. Again, we liked each other as much in person as on line.

Lunch, a shopping trip at the Mall. Fun.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.