The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Several things on my mind but.........

There are several things on my mind as this season of holiday day cheer and hunting are upon us. I am not going to rant about hunters as there are some in my family who hunt but they are lawbiding hunters who follow the rules and respect other peoples pets and properties, not like some we have running around these woods today.

First there are those who have no respect for property. They come on our property without asking and act like they own it. They want to tell me what they are going to do on my propertly no matter what I say. We do not allow atvs on our property to tear up the yard and fields or whatever but they bring on anyway. Then have the nerve to threaten my brother in law when he tells them he does not want them on his property (it borders ours and he watches out for some hunters and such). We do not believe in using atvs for hunting. Get yer ass out and walk if you want a deer, I say. We also do not want the fields and yard ripped up.

Then there are those who shoot wherever they want. We have had bullets whizzing by our house. I have to stay indoors because of some of the nuts running around here. Last year a woman was shot to death in her driveway by a hunter. My sister in law as well as we, have had to chase hunters out of our yard and tell them not to shoot at our homes. My niece and nephew were out playing one day when my sil saw two hunters standing at the edge of her yard, waitinf for deer to come out. They did not care that kids were playing in the yard. They wanted a deer. Twice she had to go out and shoo hunters away. Apparently they did not see all the 'no hunting posters plastered on every other tree out there.

I am tired of feeling like I live in a battlefield each year.

And how many dogs, cats and cows to we have to lose? I am not a farmer but our neighbors are and they lost a cow to turkey hunters who somehow shot his cow in spring gobbler season? Does that make sense to anyone who reads this? I had one dog shot and killed. Another was shot in the hind leg and costs us alot in vet bills plus he was lame in that leg for several years. Cats come up missing and I have heard so-called hunters brag about the cats they have killed because the cat was doing what cats do..........hunting rabbits. Why shoot the cats? They are doing what nature intended them to do. Go after the irresponsible owner who allowed the cat to run around outside, not the cat.

All I want is for hunters to treat us with some respect and not shoot at our homes, children or animals. Go out into the woods where you are away from homes.


As I posted, not all hunters are like this but too many are and it is making it look bad for the rest. Shame on you.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

My oh My ... I'm with you! We've posted our property, but they hunt just beside it. I've caught them on our property a few times, and tell them to leave. If they don't leave, I'll call on them. They'll lose EVERYTHING if you call on them and they're doing what they shouldn't be. Everything - license, equipment, all of it. Do it. 'Cuz you're right - those folks ruin it for decent hunters.

Darlene said...

You said these hunters should, "Get off your butt and walk if you want a deer." Right on! I so agree. And Wendy's right, too. The ones who don't respect others' property, who shoot peoples' pets as a thrill--they spoil it for the majority of hunters.

While deer hunting may be a sport, most hunters do use the meat for food. And they are needed, because they help keep deer populations down so they don't starve to death or become so overpopulated that they go too far into the cities and get hit by cars. I could never shoot a deer, but I respect law-abiding, private-property respecting hunters.

Darlene said...

P.S. Dee, please e-mail me.

Anvilcloud said...

You could always take a picture for evidence too.

While I don't have a lot a empathy for hunters, I'm sure there are decent ones, but I think these people are immature boys who would act inappropriately wherever they were.

Dee said...

Anvilcloud...most of our family and frieds do hunt but it is on property owned by family and they are not just out running around doing what they feel like on property that does belong to them and none have ever shot anyone's cats or dogs. No need for that.


Wendy...my husband did go down and tell one that was hunting on our property on an atv to get off and the told him he would kill him if he saw him out in the woods. That was a few years ago and nothing came of it but you just never know any more. My husband did not think to do what you suggested but he carries a camera on him much of the time now so he is more apt do to what anvil suggested.

jon...with my luck someone would shoot someone on my property and I would get blamed for it. I think I will do what wendy said.

Darlene...I will email you....

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.