The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Thursday, November 03, 2005



While visiting a.c's blog I saw a pic of him and his granfather and I thought how wonderful it is to have that kind of memories of ones family. Sorry to say but my childhood memories are rather clouded the first 9 years of my life. I don't mean to have anyone throw a pity party for me as my foster mom who I went to live with when I was 9 was great. But no matter what she did, I still felt a sense of loss and like I did not belong to the family. Then I met my husband and when he introduced me to his mother, I met a woman who would remain my friend and mother for the rest of my life. I have known and admired her for over thirty years. She is fantastic. I also found a father in his dad who treated my like a daughter. When he was ill and dying, I was in the hospital along with his other kids spouses and the nurses were amazed that they could not tell which of ones were his children and which one were the in laws. He treated us all like his kids.

I am doing a memory quilt for his mother and I want to share some of the photoes I am putting in it.

The above pic is one of his parents, himself, and his dad holding his sister sara. The apartment they were living in at that time is the same one my husband and I lived in during the first few years of our marriage.

I wish the pic on the right was clearer but it is one taken on their wedding day in 1949. They were married for over forty years.

I will show some other pics later of the ones I am putting in the quilt. I know it is time consuming but I think she will like it. I have done calendars and other things for her with pics so I am pretty sure she will like this.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow, I love this post. You're incredibly blessed to have them as your family. It's not all that often that you meld into the 'in-law' family in such a manner of feeling like one of their own kids. I just love this post. Thank you. (hope you photograph the quilt when it's done!)

Dee said...

I will post a picture of the quilt when it is done. It may take several months to get it done but I will do it.

Jon...I love old pics too. I am going to try and put some more up but she does not have alot of old ones. Does have several of her kids but I am hoping to find some of her parents and grandparents.

Anvilcloud said...

I think it's neat when the basic idea of one blog is carried over into another. Right now, I think I need a bit of my own inspiration.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.