The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

comfort foods


The dictionary says....

The term comfort food refers to any food or drink to which one habitually turns for temporary respite, security, or special reward. The reasons that something becomes a comfort food are diverse but include the food's familiarity, simplicity, and/or pleasant associations. Small children often seem to latch on to a specific food or drink (in a way similar to a security blanket) and will repeatedly request it in high stress situations. Adults, however, are certainly not exempt.


How many of us often find ourselves drifting back in time and thinking of the the comfort foods our parents or grandparents used to make us feel safe and loved when we were kids. My foster mom was a great one for cookies and milk. After a long day at school she would be waiting to hear how our day went with a glass of cold milk and home made cookies. Yes they were homemade. No store bought cookies for her kids. LOL

At night she would often let us settle back with a cup of weak tea and a slice of toast before going to bed.

That is what made me think of comfort foods. I was standing out in the kitchen, stirring this tea when I had a flashback of me sitting at her kitchen table waiting on her to bring me me tea and toast. And I find myself often able to fall asleep quicker on the nights I have this tea then I do on the nights I do not have it. There was very little soda in Mom;s house but lots of tea. One of my favorites is green tea with honey in it. Very good, indeed.

Another thing was her homemade chicken and dumplings. No matter how hard I try, I cannot make it as good as she does but it was one of those things I would settle back and enjoy on a cold winter's eve.

Then there was her apple pie. She used it when drunks would stop in and sobber up while she read the bible to them and served them pie and tea or coffee..Did she run a restaurant? No. She was just well known for giving men a dose of religion as she helped them sober up after a night out on the town. She liked to give comfort and talk to people about God. She had always wanted to be a missionary but things did not work out that way she she spent her time doing little things like this.

She was quite a lady. *s* And served wonderful comfort food with her words of wisdom.

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I can pass on the green tea, but the apple pie on the other hand ...

Dee said...

lol...I love the green tea and honey.

Granny said...

I love to make chicken and dumplings; especially when the weather is chilly. I learned from my southern born mil and mine are almost as good.

Comfort food for me when I was little and feeling poorly was milk toast with lots of real butter.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.