The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Trip to emlenton







Hubby and I decided to go for a drive today. It is one of those things we often do when there is little else to occupy our time. We don't always know exactly where we are heading but today we went the quaint little town of Emlenton. Pa.

The first thing I noticed as we drove thru the town were some of the lovely old homes there. Not I did not have my camera with me but I did find some interesting sights and houses on line. It is not just one old victorian home but the town seems to be filled with homes of the former oil barrons who once lived in the town. The two images above were the homes of eban Crawford and his brother. They were two oil barrons from the bygone era. I love Victorian style homes and my dream was to buy one and fix it up but hubby would not go for it.

The lovely church is in Foxburg Pa which is near emlenton. It is a lovely structure.
James Peacock Sims had attended secondary school and college with William Logan Fox (1851-80), whose early death was memorialized along with that of his father in this church in northwestern Pennsylvania. The drawing was entrusted to Eyre, Sims's twenty-two-year-old draftsman. The design was directly modeled on one of the rare churches to strongly reflect the Queen Anne revival, Richard Norman Shaw's Church of St. Michael and All Angels in Bedford Park, outside London. A plate of its design was published in an English journal, Building News, on 17 January 1879, and even the format on Eyre's sheet closely echoed that plate of elevations and sections.

I have not been in the inside but they say it is gorgeous.

We always say we are going to go in but we have never stopped. Maybe we will some day.

3 comments:

Leann said...

I always wanted to live in a big old victorain home to.but time and money never came together to make it happen.and ow Im getting to think a big old house would be more work then I care to take on.but one can dream.

Dee said...

oh..and the heating bills..lol

Scott said...

I lived next door to the Memorial Church in Foxburg but never visited there. Pity. I bought a couple of postcards with pictures of it on eBay.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.