The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

The celebration of the New yearr is the oldest of all holidays. It was first observed in ancient Babylon about 4000 years ago. In the years around 2000 BC, the Babylonian New Year began with the first New Moon (actually the first visible cresent) after the Vernal Equinox (first day of spring).
The beginning of spring is a logical time to start a New Year.ar. After all, it is the season of rebirth, of planting new crops, and of blossoming. January 1, on the other hand, has no astronomical nor agricultural significance. It is purely arbitrary.

The use of an image of a baby with a New Years banner as a symbolic representation of the new year was brought to early America by the Germans. They had used the effigy since the fourteenth century.

What about traditions? I do not make resolutions but many do. One that I do keep is having sauerkraut and mashed potatoes on New Years day. My family has done that and I am not sure why. "A friend of mine follows the dutch tradition and gave me a dried up donut to keep in my cupboard all year so I would have good luck. Not sure how well that worked....Like some cultures the dutch believe that certain food that circular will bring good luck. So they use the donut.

Some believe they have to sing Auld Lang Syne which means, long ago, at the stroke of midnight.
">Link

2 comments:

niceheart said...

On new year's eve, we collect 13 round fruits, 13 for lucky 13 and the round shape for money. :)

Dee said...

never heard of doing that one.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.