The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A story that is not a story.....

Did you ever know someone who seemed to have so much in life and yet when the truth was known, she had nothing at all?

I had a foster cousin whose was one of those beautiful kids. She was pretty from the day she was born. People would look at her and remark how lovely she was. I did not dislike her but I envied her. She was so pretty boys would look at her then say to me, 'How can someone as ugly as you be related to her?' She really did have that kind of beauty.

The girl had been spoiled rotten by her parents. They bought her everything money could buy and I envied her so for it all. On her sixteeenth birthday they got her a car, a mink, and a poodle cause she wanted all three. (I hated the ugly stole. It looked much better on the mink.)

She had parents who loved her and she thought they loved each other til on her twenty first birthday her dad moved out cause he made a deal with her mom that he would only live in the house with them til this girl turned twenty one. He then moved in with another family this girl knew nothing about but they did.

But that did not matter. She still had the good looking body, the hunk for a husband, and the lovely daughter who was just as perfect as her mother.

Imagine my surprise one day when this lovely creature told me she was jealous of me. Moi? I asked. Why? "Because you had my grandmother and she loved you."

"Your grandmother loved you too," I said. "And you had your parents."

"I had their money and what it could buy,"she said. "Not their time."

I would like to give a happy ending to this story but it is not a story and I can't give it happy ending yet. This girl turned into the type of parent her mother was. Her husband left her for a younger model when she in her forties and she inherited alot of money from her father and her mother but she spent most of her time traveling while her daughter was in boarding school and she and her daughter are estranged from each other. She has become very bitter towards everyone in the family because of some imagined injustices supposedly done to her in the past. She is not bitter towards me but towards others who will not bend to her will.

Or, it seems that way.

But I really think she is a sad, lonely creature who never learned how to love anyone. After all, she learned it all from her parents....

5 comments:

PBS said...

That's a sad story. I went to school with a beautiful girl. She started out as a very nice girl, but quickly got spoiled. Everything was handed to her, people raved over her beauty, she married the high school sports hero after reigning over HS for four years, had two kids (one boy, one girl, natch!) who were both good-looking and skilled in sports, her husband has a good job so they have a gorgeous home and lots of money. She got picked up for shoplifting last year. Turned out she had a habit of doing it and they finally arrested her for it last spring! Everyone in my hometown was shocked, but I really wasn't. I think she was bored with getting things so easily and wanted a challenge!

Wendy said...

It's amazing what we do or where we end up when we weren't loved properly in the first place. All of her values were placed on materials ... not on personal qualities, or by just being there. My daughter is only 9, but she 'earns' what she gets and we do not spoil her with crazy extravagant stuff. (we can't afford to anyway, but wouldn't if we could.) But, most of all, she knows we love her deeply, and that's all that really counts.

Anvilcloud said...

Sometimes I think that it is a curse to be that beautiful. Perhaps the beautiful ones who manage to also be beautiful in spirit are the ones truly to be admired. I'm told that they exist.

Queen on the run said...

That is very sad indeed. I believe she just needs to be trully loved.
We know when someone doesn't really love us. We can feel it in all kinds of ways. I wish the best for your foster cousin.

Dee said...

I think queen is right. She does need love and has never really felt it. Her mother loved her but did not really know how to show it until it was almost too late. Her dad was selfish and never did show it the way he should have.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.