The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

The vigina monologue....................

Okay. I saw it and I have to say I was a bit disappointed in it. Yes, it had a great message but I wonder why it had to be so out right vulgar in some places. I mean, I did not really need to hear all the various ways of saying vigina and how how to shout cunt was just out of the question for me. It is not my idea of the proper way to handle such things. But there was some great parts in in too. The most important one for me was this little poem.....
MY SHORT SKIRT
My short skirtis not an invitationa provocationan indicationthat I want it or give i t
or that I hook.
My short skirtis not begging for it it does not want you to rip it off me or pull it down.
My short skirt is not a legal reasonfor raping me although it has been before
it will not hold up in the new court.
My short skirt, believe it or not
has nothing to do with you.
My short skirtis about discoveringthe power of my lower calvesabout cool autumn air travelingup my inner thighs
about allowing everything I seeor pass or feel to live inside.
My short skirt is not proof that I am stupidor undecidedor a malleable little girl.
My short skirt is my defiance
I will not let you make me afraid
My short skirt is not showing off this is who I am before you made me cover it
or tone it down.Get used to it.
My short skirt is happinessI can feel myself on the ground
I am here. I am hot.
My short skirt is a liberationflag in the women’s armyI declare these streets, any streetsmy vagina’s country.
My short skirtis turquoise waterwith swimming colored fisha summer festival
in the starry dark a bird callinga train arriving in a foreign townmy short skirt is a wild spin
a full breath a tango dipmy short skirt is initiation appreciation excitation.
But mainly my short skirt and everything under itis Mine.Mine.Mine.

The idea that a girl is inviting anyone to rape her cause of the clothes she wears is stupid. I used to wear very short skirts and short shorts because I felt good in them. I liked the feel of the wind whipping around my legs as I walked. My body belongs to me and no matter how I dress, no man has a right to touch it unless I tell him he can. I felt it was an important part of the monologue. The other one is about the burqa which is worn by muslin women. I do not have the words for it but It is very moving. It touched me in so many ways.

It describes how being hidden under all that clothe makes them feel invisible and it makes my heart sad for them.

2 comments:

Bonita said...

American women like their independence, and wearing any type of clothing is their choice - I think that is healthy, and it fosters thought and creativity.

The burqa or chador in Islamic countries supports a totally differenct theme - submission to the authority of a clergy that says "modesty" is the requirement for a woman, and the chador is the symbol for that - a symbol.

Interesting isn't it, how both sets of women reflect the thinking of their country.

Dee said...

Yes it is but I am not sure if the women of islamic countries feel the can express how they really feel about the mode of dress forced upon them.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.