The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Friday..........

My daughter called late, very late last night. She was imbibing. Sharing the bubbly with some friends. She was feeling very tipsy and talking to me. I just asked her if she was driving and she said no, she was at her friends house and they were staying over. We talked for awhile and I thought some of the stuff she was saying was goofy but that was okay. I have always kept the phone lines open for my kids. Always. I could call my mom any time of the day or night and that is what I miss about not having her. She is not here for me to call at 1 in the morning if I so chose and talk to her or cry on her shoulder as I often did.

My husband was so mad at her for calling and mad at me for not chastizing her for calling while she was drinking. I told him that my phone lines and doors would always be open to my kids no matter what time of the day or night it is. Drunk or sober. She is normally a very responsilbe young woman who is doing very well in school and holding down two jobs. I have only known her to be drunk a few times and I often look back and think of what I was like at 22 and I was no way near as responsible as she is.

I think our kids have to feel they can talk to us about things or we will lose them. Or, their trust in us and when they are young adults, they often need us as much as they did when they were teens. Just in a different way.

I do not want to shove them out the door or make them feel as though they cannot talk to me. I will never do that either.

1 comment:

Rach said...

My dad was like that. Day or night, drunk or sober, I could call him. He would just laugh at me =). Boy do I miss him!

I think if you have done your best raising your children to be responsible adults, you shouldn't stress about what they are doing. It must be a source of comfort for your daughter to know she has a mom she can call whenever she needs to!

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.