The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Lost Arts....




Recently I made my daughter a quilt. She took it to college and showed to some of her friends. They thought she bought it from the amish. When she told them I made it they were amazed. They could not believe someone made that by hand unless they did it for a career. I never liked to think of myself as an artist but the quilts I make are my own designs. I do not follow anyone's pattern. Most are quilted by hand, not machineTherefore, her art teacher told her I am an artist working on a type of lost art.

I think there is something sad about the fact that so many things that we once did for enjoyment or necessity have now become a lost art.

Jelly making is what I talked about in a previous post. It too, has been on the list of lost arts. So is canning. It is so much easier go to store and pick things up. But it is better for us? At least with canning or making your own jelly, you know what is going into the food you eat. You don't know that when you walk into walmarts and pick up some chicken, exactly what that chicken ha been fed and I think that is a great problem today.

There are other lost arts fading away and someday we will wake up and realize just how special it was to know how to do those things.

5 comments:

Granny said...

I was going to ask if you quilted by hand but then you answered it already.

The only "lost arts" I've hung onto are crocheting and tatting. Does anyone except me tat? With approaching age, my eyes won't hold out for much of it though.

Thanks for your comments on both blogs.

Bush? Nope. I'm a flaming liberal all the way back to the 60's.

Wendy said...

Gorgeous quilts! It is an art ... maybe you could teach it to someone else, who could also teach it to someone else? My mom used to try to teach me to knit/crochet. She's a rightie, I'm a lefty ... we were both frustrated and I gave up.

Bonita said...

That's a beautiful quilt - I've made many of them over they years, and most of them are now worn out. Time to make some more....

And, I also do home canning and jam and preserves - mainly because I love the taste of home-grown stuff and want none of it to go to waste. It is an uncommon pursuit.

Leesa said...

I agree with you :) And quilts are beautiful! I wish I had that patience.
We can our own veggies and jam. Such a better taste and better for you I think :)

Dee said...

Granny..we just lost a very dear neighbor who taught tatting. He was 97 when he died. He and his wife and been married over 70 years and died just weeks apart but he made lovely doilies. I tried to learn but I couldn't.

Wendy...I can do it but I do not have the patience to teach it.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.