The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Jelly

Recently I was talking to some young women and they were wondering how in the world anyone would make jelly. Now these are bright young women and I like them alot so I tried to be very patient and explain to them how one makes jelly. Two of them seemed impressed but one said she would never eat jelly again.

I know women have to work and they do not have the time to make things at home like they once did and I understand that. I also feel a little bit sad when I realize how much they are misssing out by not knowing some of these things or sharing that time with their mom doing it. Some of my best memories are of picking strawberries in the summer, or other types of berries and helping my foster mom pour the hot jelly into jars while we listened to the latest tunes on the radio or she talked about life on the farm as she grew up. She made it fun and made some great memories for me to look back on now.

I have made every kind of jelly imaginable. Rose Jelly, violet jelly, dandelion jelly. All kinds of berry preserves and jellies.

Oh, I have some jello out there....maybe I could make some jelly out of it? *s*

2 comments:

Granny said...

I haven't done any canning in years but I bet I still could. We made jelly and jam every year and Mason jar after Mason jr of fruits and veggies.

You're right about the lost arts and I'm as guilty as the next I suppose. I do much more cheating than I used to.

Wendy said...

My Grandmother cans still ... she's going to be 89 this year. She puts up green beans, beets, etc. She also makes the BEST concord grape juice, and jelly. My favorite jelly she makes is Elderberry. But alas, I have never learned how to do it.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.