The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Myspace rant....

I heard again on the news about a child preditor picking up young girls on myspace. The tone of the news commentor sorta ticked me off cause it was like he was blaming the myspace owners for all the perverts picking up kids on there.

I have an account on myspace. I do not go there often but there is a friend who is on there and she keeps in touch with me that way. I have seen some of the blogs written by the young kids on there. The language is atrocious. They make it plain why they are on there. There are pics of very scantily clad girls in provocative clothing. Young girls, not young women. Some are only 12, maybe, 13 years old.

My first thought when I saw some of them was, where are their parents? Why are their parents allowing them to post such filth and in many cases they had their full name and address. It would not be hard for a pedophile to find them.

My daughters both have myspace accounts. I never allowed them to post their pics up there until they were adults then they could do it if they wished. Our computer Was always in the main part of the house while they were young. I could see what they were posting and how when I walked by and they never knew when I was going to walk by. They did not have computers in their rooms til they were over 18.

So why blame myspace when these girls disappear? I think the ones to blame are the men who trick them and take advantage of them and the parents who do not control what their kids are doing on a computer. I do not think the kids are at fault as they are too young to realize the danger they are putting themselves in when they put so much out there on the net.

If the parents have done all they could to prevent it, then the blame lies solely on the pervert who did it. Not myspace.

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Seems like a pretty good analysis to me.

Rach said...

I'm with you on this one. The predators are to blame, as are the parents who allow the computer to become a "babysitter" if you will. My four year old is already on the computer, but it is in the family room, she is *always* supervised, and you can bet your sweet bottom that if she had a myspace account I would know what was on it!! You can *never* be too vigilant when you are the parent of girls!!!

Bonita said...

Parental supervision is so necessary - it is good that your computer is in the livingroom, and that you've got rules. Best though, is to warn your children of the dangers....then, monitor what is going on.

Leesa said...

I totally agree with you...Myspace just seems like a pedophile meat market. I would have done the same as you with the kids and computers.

Granny said...

Computer #2 is in Elcie's bedroom but I have them locked out of most of the dangerous places and they know I wander in unexpectedly. (And that I can track where they've been).

So far so good. As they get older, we'll see how it goes.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.