The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Cemetaries

Okay. You can call me weird. I do like ghost stories. Horror stories and I read true crime books. I also like cemetaries. I was watching this special on them and I found it so interesting. I like walking thru them and often read the stone and think of the people there. Wondering what they were like and how they might have lived and died. We have a very old cemetary near us that has many little lambs in it from the flue out break at the beginning of the last century as well as some that date pre civil war.

I sometimes laugh at the epitaths. For instance in the cemetary near us there is one that reads Here lies ------(can't recall his name) Shot in the head by a dirty reb. Nothing flowery about it. There is the famous one for the waitress who was hypocondriac which reads...I told you I was sick. *s* Here is another one.....In memory of Anna Hopewell
Here lies the body of our Anna
Done to death by a banana
It wasn't the fruit that laid her low
But the skin of the thing that made her go

Apparently she fell on the peel. btw..the last two are not in our cemetary but they are epitaths that made me smile.

It does sadden me when I drive by some of the old cemetaries and see how they are allowed to grow up with weeds and are neglected. I often wonder why some churches with able bodied people in them do not get out an hour or two a week and take care of places like that.

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

My pet peeve about cemetaries is plastic flowers. They disrupt the peace IMO.

Leesa said...

I like cemetaries too, I really want to go to some really old ones and photograph them.
It is sad too that some aren't taken care of :(

Dee said...

avnil...I agree on the plastic flowers. Tacky. We never use them.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.