The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Ho..Ho...Humbug

As I sit here looking at the tree and all the trappings of christmas, I ask my slef why do we do this every year? Every year we promise ourselves that the next year we are going to take things a little easier and sit back to relax and enjoy christmas the way we were intended to. And every year we get busy and bitter the week before because of all the things we think we have to do for christmas. What time that is not used with shopping, baking and running hither and yon to make sure we have all the gifts everyone wanted, we spend wondering if they will like the gifts we got.

We get snappy with each other over the smallest thing. We try not to forget our manners when we are out and about but we often do. The kids are whiney, the husband is being a real pain in the ass because he hates shopping and instead of doing it earlier, he rushes in and fights with the crowds to get what he wants to get others and he has no desird to look at the price of things.

In the mean time, I still have cookies to finish baking and several gifts to wrap and so many other things that I really am not in the spirit to do today.

Feeling like this is not what this season is about. It is about caring for each other and being with those you care about. I will be with those I love and I really do hope I am over this feeling by the time the day gets here.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all of you if I do not get back in here again.

5 comments:

Leesa said...

Merry Christmas, Dee :)
I do know how you can get into a funk, I was in on all month!

Dee said...

Just overwhelmed from trying to get it all done and be everything to everyone, I guess.

Bonita said...

Merry Christmas Dee...I'll have to admit that with 5 children, I learned to simplify. Now that they are grown, I just spend 5 minutes doing my Christmas shopping - gift cards to all the stores. This year I had to move my son into his apartment, too. So, really a lot to do with baking, cards, and just a good house cleaning (no decorating). I'm glad you try to work it out - it is worth it. Thanks for stopping by.

Anvilcloud said...

It gets a little busy no matter how well you plan, but there are probably things that we can all do to ease the crunch -- things to do ahead of time, and perhaps some things to give up -- although it's hard to think of what they might be.

Dee said...

thank you all for the comments. I guess I did sound like the grinch. *s*

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.