The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Crosses along the road.....

It was a beautiful day to be out driving along our country roads. We were laughing and talking about something one of the kids did and suddenly, there along the side of the road were two white crosses draped in red roses with the names of two people who had died there. What a sobering jolt that was to an otherwise fun time.

I know why they are there. They are there because someone lost a couple of loved ones there. But I have heard that these crosses may be romoved from the roadsides because they are a distraction to those who are driving by and part of me wants to agree with this. Who wants to be reminded every time they drive by a certain tree or rock that someone met their doom there? And I have been told that more wrecks are caused because those who are morbidly fascinated by this kind of stuff slow down and try to read the names of whoever died there rather than watch the roads.

If I lost a loved one that way, I would not need such a memorial to remind me they are gone. That empty chair at the table each day or, those phone calls that will never come again, are enough to remind me that their soul is no longer on this planet.

1 comment:

Anvilcloud said...

Crosses, ugh. When we came back from out west through northern Montana several years ago, there were crosses all along the highway. It was a little two lane highway without much of a shoulder. It was rather foreboding. I did not have the time of my life.

Re. your comment: the language police issue got a little silly for a while. I think tings have tones down. My SIL in French, and there are no problems.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.