The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Sending them off to the home.............

So my friend and I were talking and she said she would never put her mom in a home because her mother sacrificed so much for her siblings and her and she could not understand how anyone could put their mother in a nursing home. She said she did not care what her husband wanted or her kids, when the time came, her mother was moving in with her.

I thought about the day I put my mother in a nursing home and I worried about people thinking I was a bad daughter. But my mother was sick and she needed twenty four hours of nursing care and I had my familyt to think of as well as my own health which is not always that great.

"You know what really bugs me?" my friend asked. "People who take parents who sacrificed so much for their kids and the kids just throw them in a home and forget about them. They should respect their parents. What kind of repect is that?"

I often wonder why people assume they know so much about why people do things. How do I know that parent that is langushing in a nursing home, waiting for a kid that never comes to visit is not the same parent who slammed his/her child against the wall every time it did something wrong. Or, if they did not physiclly abuse the child, maybe they verbablly abused them and made the feel small all the time.

I know a couple that are in a home now and people wonder why their son never visits. I have known the son since I was a kid and I often heard the dad yell at him for some reason and the mother constantly telling he was not smart enough, or good enough for anything. Shortly before going into the home I asked her how he was, instead of telling me he got a new job as a truckdriver and leaving it go at that, she says, "Oh, he has a job as a truck driver but I don't know how long he'll keep it. He drinks, you know." I knew he did drink but he quit years ago.

Like I said, why couldn't she just tell me about the job and let it go. She also felt she had to tell he was not a christian and that was bothering her. With her as an example of what a christian is, I cannot blame him.

But the next time you think you know why people do certain things, before judging them, you might stop and think because you really do not know what their life may have been like at all.

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I don't know why your friend would assume that nursing homes are bad and that she can give better care than they and that everybody in a home is just being shunted out of the way.

erinberry said...

Unfortunately, some people thrive on judging others' personal lives. It makes them feel better about themselves.

Melodee said...

So true!

Dee said...

anvil...alot of nursing homes get bad raps because a few have made it into the news for not taking care of the patients and there is a stigmatism here concerning placing parents in homes. Many believe kids should take care of the parents when they are older but most of us just cannot do it. Not cause we don't want to. We are not qualified. there is hardly a week goes by any more where you don't turn on the news hear of an alzheimer's walking off from the place they were living and dying cause no one found them and just died. Many times it is cause families tried to take care of their loved one and they were not prepared for it.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.