The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Not A Stepford Wife.

I just got back from a mother daughter banquet at my church. I often wonder why they have it listed as mother/daughter when there are women there who only have sons. It is the same way with my husband on fathers day. They have the father/son banquet. My husband has no sons so he does not go.

The food was good and my daughter did win me a posey so I guess it was worth it. But we had a long winded woman up there for the speech afterwards and I could have sworn her talk was two hours long. I did not believe my daughter when she said it was only a half hour speech. I am sure she is a nice woman and all but her talk about women never getting angry and constantly smiling reminded me of the Stepford Wives.

You know........the movie where the women are all smiling and look lovely so they can be at their husbands' and childrens' beck and call every hour of the day.

Well, shame on me for not smiling and jumping up while saying, 'yes dear' when my husband demands that I get the laundry done while he gets his fishing lore out to go fishing. It is not just my laundry. It is his laundry too and if he wants clean underware, he can throw a load in while I finish the book I was reading since I did not need the laundry done at that second. Some things are just more important than laundry.

Sorry if I did not feel any shame when my 24 year old daugther asked me to get off the computer cause she wanted to talk to one of her on-line friends. I know I should have smiled and said, 'yes, darling. Your mother loves you so she will let you on.' Then get up and leave a half finished email.

I know some of you will be appalled by this but I do not get up before my husband does so I can put on my make up because I do not want him to see me without any on. He does see the real me and I know that is not how a good baptist wife is supposed to be but this baptist wife sleeps later than her husband and lets him get his own breakfast. I also expect him to wash dishes on occasion. Oh, me baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad........

I am supposed to stifle my anger and speak with honey on my words when I talk to my husband and children. Well, honey was not flowing out of my mouth the day our daugther wrecked her car. I guess it was not flowing out of it when my husband came home drunk one night either.....Nor was it honey covered words the day my eldest ran off with a jerk she was dating.

I guess I better work on that 'honey' that flows from my mouth at times..................

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Yup, it's time to re-evaluate. They never had daughter-father banquets for us either.

*~*Michelle*~* said...

I'm right there with you!

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.