The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Gripes about Mothers day

I know it is unamerican to say anything bad about this day of all days to honor your mother or be honored by your children. But I wonder why we have to have a special day set aside to honor people that we should honor every day of the year? And what about those who have mothers that do not deserve this dubious honor simply because they did something that came naturally and gave birth to a child then treated it like crap for the rest of the time? Or the mother who turned her back while her children were being abused physically, sexually, or emotionally by their father simply because they refuse to believe the men they married would do anything wrong to their kids?

There are mothers out there who simply do not deserve to be honored, yet their kids who have been brow beaten most of their lives feel they must honor them on this one day?

I hope that I am the kind of mother that my kids feel they can respect and honor every day. I do not want them to feel obligated to get me a gift on this one day simply because society dictates they must do it or they are bad examples of what children should be.

Yes, I did get lovely gifts from both my daughters this year and my husband is taking me out to dinner. But if they had not done this, I would still love them. I just do not want them to feel they have to do it.

I would have appreciated them just as much if they had chosen to give the gifts to me, say, last week or next month sometime simply because they saw it some where and decided to get it for me for just being me, not for being a mom.

When I was living in B.C. (I refer to it as Befor Children), my husband still took me out to dinner because he chose to honor me as his wife this way and I enjoyed it. So, this is not something he started doing simply because I became a mother. His attitude towards me has not changed since then and I respect him and love him all the more for that.

Anyway, the bleeding heart plants and the items for my christmas village are lovely. I do appreciate them and I love my kids................every day of the year.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Dropped by from Mel's after reading a very 'fulsome' comment from you. Keep up the good writing.

Melodee said...

Hey, Anvilcloud's here! :) Dee, thanks for coming by my blog . . . I agree with this entire post!

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.