The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Darned dog owners....


People that live across the road from us have a Jack Russell terrier very much like the one catching this frisbee. Apparently these people did not do any reasearch on the dog breed before they bought her. These are some things you have to know in order to be a good 'parent' to a Jack Russell.



Remember that while it looks like a small dog, you essentially have a 130-pound dog in that body. These dogs are extremely intelligent, very bold and have no sense of their small stature.

Be prepared to enjoy a good 15 years with your Jack Russell, as this is the average life expectancy for a Jack Russell Terrier.


: keep your Jack Russell in a secure yard ' this dog can dig under and jump over 5-foot fences. Don't underestimate the escape skills of this terrier. If it sees something it wants to chase, it will do everything it can to go after it.

Make sure you or someone in your home is willing to spend at least 60 minutes a day playing with and exercising the dog.

Keep a roll of tape handy; the Jack sheds constantly, and a vacuum will get some, but not all of the coarse hairs.

These people are gone for 12-14 hours a day because they work at a job that is a 2 hour drive and often work til well past dark. The dog is tied up all day long. Anyone who knows about these dogs know you have to walk them about an hour a day and play with them alot. They come home, let the dog loose and it runs where it wants to and they have said she is now a nipper and has nipped people. When these dogs are not trained, they can be little hellions. This dog would make a great pet for responsible owners who abide by the rule of keeping it in a secure yard or the house. We try to catch this dog for them as she is a sweetie and I don't want her getting hit but she is a real escape artist.

Our dogs are constantly barking at her and the neighbors on the other side are the ones who I think may take drastic action and shoot the dog if given the chance and I don't want to see that happen.

It irks me that those who love doges do not take time to learn about the breed and what all it takes to take care of those kind of dogs. They make wonderful pets if properly taken care of.

10 comments:

Gina said...

Poor doggie! Jack Russells are a lot of work, they are not your typical small dog that can just stay home all day and needs minimal excercise.

I hate when people get a breed just because its trendy or they think its cute.

Dee said...

gina..Hi. I do agree with you on this one.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

I have two pomerainians and they are the same way. They have to run and play and need alot of love.

J said...

I sometimes think I am that person. I try not to be but I am fearful I don't spend enough time with my puppy. He's young so I feel like he needs companionship more often than not. I do come home every day for lunch to play with him though. No time to walk, but I throw a toy for him for 20 minutes while I try to eat something. Give him some "lovin" and get back to work. Makes me sad to leave him every time. And I cannot wait to get him into another training class, I'm hoping it will help; Cause he's an escape artist too!

Wendy said...

Our dog is a Corgi/Sheltie cross and he's FULL of energy. He's a herder by breed, therefore he likes to run and run and run and run and runnnnnnnnn... you get the picture? We make sure we run him till his little tongue is dragging every single day. He needs it - otherwise, he gets 'frisky' and naughty due to pent up energy. We knew this when we got him though, and we were prepared. He loves running in the woods with my neighbors labs while she and I walk behind them. He LOVES frisbee ... you must spell it out or go play frisbee. I feel so bad for dogs like the one you describe. She'll bite someone or get hit - in the end, she's the one who suffers. She suffers all those hours tied up outside - .... I hate to even think about it.

Dee said...

wendy...my dogs are never tied out for such long periods. I hate seeing dogs tied out day after day and they have never spent a night outside except the night I had to be rushed to the hospital and there was no one to take care of them til someone got home.

Wendy said...

Nope, my dog never gets left outside alone either. And, he sleeps between us in the big bed every night. He's just die if we left him outside!

Leesa said...

My sis had one of these,and that was the most active dog I've ever been around.

Dee said...

leesa..Lila is a wonderful dog but she needs an owner that can treat her as this kind of dog needs to be treated. Lots of love and exercise.

M. C. Pearson said...

I have a 1/2 Shih Tsu(for sure) and we think 1/2 Jack Russell. It is a good thing I'm a stay-at-home mommy because she follows me EVERYWHERE and is so loving and playful (and yes, sheds...yuck). I don't know what she would do if left alone. And I don't intend on finding out!!!

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.