The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Gay Parents...

I may get flack for this but it is something I have thought of for some time since one of my friends who is very prejudice against gays has made the statement that gays should not be allowed to adopt children.

I was raised in the foster care system. I know what it is like not to have your mom tuck you in at night or cry with you when you are hurt. No father to toss me in the air and call me his little girl or tease me about boys and such. I know what it is like not to be in a loving, nurturing environment.

Luckily, after being in an orphanage for several months and being tossed around the foster care circuit for three years, I was placed in a the home of a loving woman. No, she was not a lesbian but I wanted love so badly, I don't think it would have mattered to me. I just wanted to be part of a family of some sort. I think that is what most kids want.

I remember a little boy I had here one time. His biggest fear was that he was going to wake up and find himself in another home. I explained to him that would not happen until he went back with his mom. That fear of him being rejected by us stayed with him a long time. He finally did go back to his mom and after being with her a month he was put back into a foster home and adopted out.

Now, I know we have a shortage of parents willing to adopt these kids. But wouldn't it have been better for him to be adopted by a loving gay couple rather then go back to a mom who abused him in so many ways?

Of course there are going to be those who say gays live an immoral lifestyle but I am not talking about their lifestyle. If what they do is wrong in God's eyes, he will take care of that. But all the people out there getting divorced, cheating on their spouses and such, how can we say who is morally able to raise a child?

If there were more homes available to these kids, you would not have so many being killed by their natural parents after the state places them back into the very environment they came out of.

9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, AFAIK gayness isn't catching.

Wendy said...

If living with gay people makes you gay, then that means living with straight people would make you straight. Right? So, why do straight people have children who are gay? I'm with you. I don't care what creed, color, gender, sexual preference. It takes a warm loving family to nuture a child. Straight or not ... if a child is loved, and well cared for, and raised in a happy home, what more could one ask?

M. C. Pearson said...

I agree. Having been a houseparent at children's homes, children just need love. And sin is sin not matter the form...we are all sinners and need to repent. I'm not ever going to say that a gay person is less of a person than me...just a different sin. As long as a person has taken parenting classes, they should be able to adopt/foster. Kids need love and security.

Dee said...

I think most of us are on the same line of thought on this. You are right wendy, if being if you are straight parents, you should have kids who are straight.

Shephard said...

I wish the blogging community, and the country, were filled with grounded and compassionate thinkers just like you. Thank you for posting this for people to read. :)
And that Wendy is a smart cookie, too.
~S

Dee said...

No thanks needed. It is how I feel.*s*

Dee said...

Jon..you are so right about that.

Marc said...

true love transcends sexual preferences. that being said, i don't see how a gay couple could have any less paternal love for a child than a hetero couple.

IMHO, the GBLT rights movement really truly needs a figurehead to advance their cause and make tolerance of "alternative lifestyles" more common. If it weren't for people like Martin Luther King, black Americans would still be sitting on the back of the bus. And right now, I think that in a figurative sense these days, the gay community is forced to sit in the back of the bus too... and it is a damn shame and an injustice that needs corrected.

I'm all for gay couples being able to adopt... but as long as millions of mindless american sheep watch the 700 club each week and vote for politicians steeped in the middle-ages school of thought, things aren't likely to change soon.

Dee said...

Well, this is one who does not watch the 700 club.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.