The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Farther along.....

I just turned on the news and saw where the families of the miners were singing Farther Along.
Farther Along

Farther along we'll know more about it Farther along we'll understand why Cheer up my brother live in the sunshine We'll understand it all by and by

Tempted and tried will oft make you wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long
While there are others living about us
Never molested though in the wrong

When death has found and taken our loved ones
Leaving our home so lonely and dreary
Then do we wonder why others prosper
Living so wicked year after year


I like to belive that we will understand it all some day but I wonder if we truly ever will. This was my grandfathers favorite song. He too was a miner and I often think only those of us who have had loved ones working in this field have a clue as to how dangerous it is and how little some of the owners of these mind think of the men they hire to work under the ground. This mine had so many safety violations against it. Far too many. It should have been closed a long time ago.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Ah, I know that hymn. Brings back good feelings.

The safety violations etc were covered in an interview on Canadian radio yesterday.

Dee said...

I guess the reason that song brings tears to my eyes was because my grandfather was a miner and he was the main person in my life who loved me unconditionally til he died. I was very young when he died but for the first five years of my life, he was my rock and I worshipped him. This was his favorite song.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.