The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Live life like you were dying....

A chatter from a room I often go into asked me what I would do if I knew I was going to die in a few months....I wrote, 'Tommy: I would make things right with my family and anyone else I may have wronged as well as make things right with God then I would do all that things I have wanted to do as long as money allowed it. '

He wrote...Then start today. Start living like you were dying. Start trying to make things right, the way YOU want them to be. Even if things don't work out, at least you will be able to rest in peace knowing that you tried. One day, we will all die. You. Me. All of us. '

I try to do that. The older I get the more I realize there are people I may not see 'tomorrow' so I try to treat them as I want to be treated and while I have never been one to use the 'I love yous' loosely, I find myself saying it more and more when someone I care about goes to sleep or out the door. I want to have good memories of them and try and not think of all the bad things that may have happened in out pasts. I know there are some people that I can never do this with. They will not allow it and too much pain and bitterness have happened between us in the past.

He said: ''I was in my early forties, ''With a lot of life before me, ''An' a moment came that stopped me on a dime. ''I spent most of the next days, ''Looking at the x-rays, ''An' talking 'bout the options an' talkin’ ‘bout sweet time.'' I asked him when it sank in, That this might really be the real end? How’s it hit you when you get that kind of news? Man whatcha do?

An' he said: ''I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing, ''I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu. ''And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter, ''And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying.'' An' he said: ''Some day, I hope you get the chance, ''To live like you were dyin'.''

He said ''I was finally the husband, ''That most the time I wasn’t. ''An' I became a friend a friend would like to have. ''And all of a sudden goin' fishin’, ''Wasn’t such an imposition, ''And I went three times that year I lost my Dad. ''Well, I finally read the Good Book, ''And I took a good long hard look, ''At what I'd do if I could do it all again, ''And then:

''I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing, ''I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu. ''And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter, ''And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying.'' An' he said: ''Some day, I hope you get the chance, ''To live like you were dyin'.''

Like tomorrow was a gift, And you got eternity, To think about what you’d do with it. An' what did you do with it? An' what can I do with it? An' what would I do with it?

''Sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing, ''I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu. ''And then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter, ''And I watched Blue Eagle as it was flyin'.'' An' he said: ''Some day, I hope you get the chance, ''To live like you were dyin'.''

''To live like you were dyin'.'' ''To live like you were dyin'.'' ''To live like you were dyin'.'' ''To live like you were dyin'.''


That song pretty much says it all for me.

2 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh said...

Amen to that! Great Post! So true, I always try to tell my husband, kids, friends how much I love and care about them, because I know I might not have another opportunity.

M. C. Pearson said...

Great song and great way to live. Yep, we can go at anytime...wouldn't it be nice to know we've got it right with everyone and we just loved as best we could?

Ever see Joe vs. the Volcano? A lot of people don't get that movie but it is a lot like this song.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.