The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Notes left behind......

While listening to the news talk about the miners at sago mine and how they spent their last few hours on earth, thinking of their families and writing farewell letters to them. (this is a tradition among miners who are trapped.* I wondered what kind of letters many of us would write to those who we left behind. Would we write letters filled with fear and anger or would we write letters filled with love and laughter for those we leave behind.

I know there are a few I would like to send a final *kiss my ass letter to* but I doubt I would be thinking of them if it were my last day on earth.

My husbands would be filled with love and memories of all the things we did in our past and things I would like to do in the future we would never have and encourage him to go out and do those things with someone else who he might find to fill the void in his life. I would remind him of the honeymoon we didn't really have until we were married several months and how great it was when we finally did. I would want him to think of all the funny crazy things we did and laugh about the time the dog buried my pie dough cause it was so tough he thought it was a bone. About the fishing trips we went on together and how I fell into the creek. Anything to make him smile and think of me with love.

To my eldest I would try and find something to make her feel as though she had not caused it all. She is the type who likes to think the world revolves around her and it is all her fault, no matter if it is or not. She has often told me she yearns for the day I die and I have told her she would regret the day she has said those things. But she is mentally ill and I do not actually hold her responsible for many of the things she says. When she is on her meds, she is fantaistic. Full of love and a great person. I want her to remember that I loved her thru it all.

To my youngest, I would want her to laugh. She loves a good joke and I would remind her of all the long walks and talks we had while she was a young teen. Then I would remind her that no matter what she chose to do in life I would love her as long as she was happy with her chosen profession.

To my mother in law, I would thank her for being the best mil a woman could have. A best friend and confident. I love her totally. I have since the day her son introduced her and her husband to me. I loved him like a father til the day he died and I love her too. I was blessed by this family I married into.

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Great post. Why wait? Maybe you should write letters along these lines on their birthdays or for next Christmas. I think such a letter would make a great present.

Dee said...

I think you may be right. I used to write notes to my kids and my youngest told the the other day she misses those little notes I would pack away in her stuff.

Bonita said...

I'm amazed that there is so much left unsaid that should be communicated to our loved ones. Why do words fail us, when the feelings are so strong. Seems like 'I love you', just doesn't carry enough. Perhaps 'action' says it all...acts of love.

Dee said...

Words do seem to fail us when our loved ones are involved. Maybe it is because we expect them to know such things.

Dee said...

I have left journals behind, expressing how I feel about certain people and various things. I hope my kids and whoever else I leave behind read them, laugh and enjoy the thoughts in them.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.