The Meanderings of A country housewife and mother.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Womens rights and abortion...

What does abortions have to do with women's rights I wondered as I listened to two women discuss the abortions rights issue. I would never have an abortion. I did think of it at one time but I would never ever have gone thru with it. I was at a very low point in my life were I felt I had no other alternative but there is always another way out of things. I did not have to make that choice as it was taken from me when I miscarried oh, so many years ago.

I would not. Could not. But can I make that choice for another woman? I have talked to young women who were thinking of it and told them the the wonders of being and a mother of adopted children and how wonderful it was when I was finally able to adopt the two I had. I would like to see more young woman make that choice rather then to have them chose to abort the baby.

My heart was broken yesterday when I was talking to a woman who had three abortions. She is really heartbroken over the choice she made. All I could do was listen to her and sympathize with the pain she was feeling. No matter what decsion someone makes in life, there are reprocussions for it. All I kept thinking, you made the choice. You have to live with it. I thought it but would not say it. She was hurting enough.

I think when we are young and in some stressful situations, we never really think past the present. We think only of today and what it going on now and how painful it is that that the babys father no longer loves us, or we no longer love him, or our education is messed up and our parents will be so disapponted in us. We never think of the future.

The day I was standing on top the bridge wondering if I should jump or have the baby, I was not thinking, hey this will all be over in a few months. Or, God will take care of this. I just have to trust Him. No, I was just thinking, I am preggers, my life is over and no one loves me..blah, blah blah......

I believe in the thought that women should chose but I would love to be able to find a way for fewer women to feel they have to make the choice to abort.

Now, where did I put that magic wand????

4 comments:

K. said...

The topic of abortion is such a hard one to talk about mainly because everyone has their own opinion about what they think is right and what they would or would not do if put in the situation where they are pregnant and do not want to have the baby.

I think as Americans we completely missing the point. The discussions should not be about abortion, but about effective sex-education in schools. If young children were taught correctly about the dangers and risks of sex, not only teen pregnancy but STD's we wouldn't be facing such an epidemic of teen pregnancy and high STDs in this county at the moment.

But this is only my opinion, thanks for allowing me to read yours.

Anvilcloud said...

I think I pretty well agree with how you summed up this post. I guess I have to agree with having the choice there, but I sure wish it were used much much less often.

Wendy said...

What a huge topic. K. is right, we do all have our own opinions. I would truly like to think I would never ever do it, BUT - I would never want someone to tell me I CANNOT. It's my own personal, heartwrenching choice, that I'll have to live with forever. I also agree that sex ed needs to be bumped up a whole bunch. Thankfully, my mom gave me "the talk" when I was only 9, and we always had an open line of communication. When I was 17, I met a guy that I knew I was 'ready' for. I went to my mom. She sighed, didn't like it, but brought me to the ob and got me on the pill. I'm sure she knew it was the smarter way to go, as when a teen has their mind made up, well ... their mind is made up. I was going to be with this person whether or not she liked it. I work everyday on keeping those same lines of communication open with my child. She can come to me with anything and I'll never shut her down or negate her feelings. THAT is so important. As for someone who has had multiple abortions, ... I'm sure they live with their regrets, but I cannot help but wonder why they didn't "learn" after the first time. You don't HAVE to get preggers. Does it happen on an "oops" ... yes, but .... I guess what I'm saying is though I am for no one taking my personal choice away, I am also not for people using abortion as a form of birth control. It cannot be good for your body, never mind your mind/heart. I could go on and on here, but in the end, I just don't ever want someone telling me 'no', you can't have one. If by some horrible chance my child is ever faced with this situation, I'd want her to have the choice. (there are MANY reasons why someone may want one, rape, incest, 11 years old ....) It's HER choice, not the government's, not the church's. (man ... I suppose I'll get a big ass whooping here.)

Dee said...

wendy..I ain't gonna whip it. I happen to agree with most of what you said and what K said about sex education. I don't know why more people do not see that is the answer to most of these problems.

Music

  • Beatles
  • Classic Rock of all kinds
  • Garth Brooks
  • Music from the sixties and seventies
  • Very old Gospel and country music
  • Vince Gill

Music

  • Classic rock

Books I love

  • Chicken Soup Series
  • Gone With the Wind
  • The Bible
  • The Shinning
  • Turning angel

About Me

My photo
I just enjoy life. Especially my family and all the little things life has to offer. I love reading and chatting with my online friends and quilting. I always have a project started. Sometimes I have two or three going.